Acne is a common chronic disorder affecting the hair follicle and sebaceous gland, in which there is expansion and blockage of the follicle and inflammation and there are many variants.
Acne is due to a combination of factors, and exact mechanisms are not fully understood. Flare–ups of acne can be provoked by a number of different factors.
Generally, we can divide them into two categories: non–inflammatory and inflammatory acne. In both sorts, a comedo, or a plugged follicular orifice, is the primary lesion which can later develop into other types of acne. The former entails comedonal acne – blackheads and whiteheads, while the latter – pustules (typical "pimples" filled with pus) and cysts.
If we categorise acne into diverse categories, it intuitively comes to mind that each should be treated differently.
Blackheads & Whiteheads
Blackheads differ from whiteheads by their access to free air – in these lesions, dead skin cells as well as melanin easily get oxidised that gives them a darker colour.
When it comes to pustules, they represent the stereotypical picture of a pimple we know – they are bulging lesions filled with pus, often with an erythematous halo. They tend to be painful and, compared to blackheads & whiteheads, they can leave scars.
Nodulocystic acne breakouts are painful, and they often leave scarring. Nodular acne also involves bacteria called p. acne. Although its normal to have this type of bacteria on your skin, it can turn into an infection when it gets trapped in your pores alongside sebum and dead skin cells.
The resulting infection can go deep underneath your skin, causing the affected pores to become red and swollen. Because it causes issues deep within the skin, nodular acne is considered a more severe form of acne. Unlike other types of acne, such as blackheads, acne nodules cannot be cleared up with over–the–counter products alone.
- Acnelan® by Mesoestetic – A professional medical method for the intensive treatment of acne–prone and seborrheic skins.
- Acne treatments/peels – we have a number of treatment options from the worlds leading skincare brands: Mesoestetic, MCCM & La Clinica
- PicoSure® – the advanced laser energy delivered causes acne to slowly disappear through your bodys natural healing process.
- TCA Peel – makes use of a light chemical peel to help control oil, lighten hyperpigmentation, and even out skin colour.
- LED Light – acts as an anti–inflammatory agent, which reaches fibroblasts to manufacture collagen – a protein that helps to heal wounds.
Regardless of whether you still have acne now or you have the scars from acne, we recommend you book a consultation so we can tailor–fit a course of treatment specific to your individual needs.